10/26/12

Salt and Light


Truth # 8 - You are salt and light.

Matthew 5: 13-16 says,

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men."

“You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

Now, I rarely do this, but here is the same passage out of "The Message". I don't use "The Message" for my primary Bible reading, but I do love to see what it says sometimes...and I kind of love how it expresses these  particular verses.

"Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage."

“Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."

Honestly, after reading those two versions, I don't think there's much more that I can say to explain them, but I do want to encourage you, my sisters and brothers in Christ - -

Please, don't let the world shut you up! Don't allow the "political correctness" of your statements or actions be your measuring stick. The Word, coupled with the leading of the Holy Spirit, is to be your primary guide.

Imagine this - the moment you became a Christian, it's like a light switched on not only on the inside of you, but also on the outside. Just as the smallest candle can illuminate a room once full of darkness, the light of Christ inside of you is there to make a difference in this world!

Let me ask you: Are you making a difference? Are you a light to the people in your "sphere of influence"? Are you salt to them? 

If so, I believe you'd know it.

Imagine I was sitting right beside you. If I asked, I believe you should be able to tell me two things immediately: 1) how Christ has made a difference in your life, and 2) how He is using your life to make a difference in this world.

I can only make that statement and ask those questions because there are portions of my life that I know I was certainly NOT being "salt and light". I couldn't have answered those questions because I did not have a relationship with God, I had "religion". God was on the back-burner of my life and other things had become idols to me, more important than God. I used God for convenience and went to church out of duty. He was not "my everything", as He is now. I wish I could have that time back...wish I would have done things differently.

Don't be like I was...don't be lukewarm. Be HOT! Live a life of passion, overflowing with love for God and love for others! Ask God to open your eyes to see, daily, how He can use you as "salt and light" in this dark world. Stay yielded to Him. Be quick to obey.

Determine to make a difference because Christ has made a difference in you!

Need to catch up on this series? 

Next post:

Linking up at: