10/16/12

Gifted


When I was in elementary school, I remember being taken into a room with a lady I hadn't ever seen before and for the next little bit, she administered a test. Believe me, I have never forgotten one of the questions I missed..."What does H2O represent?". For the life of me, I could not come up with the answer! After learning it was water, I definitely had one of those smack-my-forehead moments!

Somehow, it was determined that I was "gifted", and I was put in a special class for one day a week with the rest of my "gifted" peers. Although I was not as bright as the rest of the class and often wondered how I ever scored high enough to get in it, I have some wonderful friends that came out of the experience. To this day, my best friend, Jenny, and I reminisce about that class!

You may or may not realize it yet, but without even putting you through a test, I can guarantee this - -

Truth #5 - You are gifted.

1 Peter 4:10 says this,

"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms."

The Lord has graciously given each Christian a gift (or gifts), to be used in serving the Body of Christ. These gifts are very special and if you're functioning in yours, you will more than likely know it. As you grow in Christ, I believe your gift(s) will come as naturally to you as the air you breathe! You may be young in the faith and you may not recognize your particular gift(s) just yet, but when it all starts to "click", you will understand that it's been yours all along. It will be part of the "why" behind some of the specific motivations at work in your life.

So what are the spiritual gifts? 

I'm glad you asked! Below, I'm going to share some of the main passages that speak of the gifts and  highlight the gifts in each one. Then, if you don't know your gift, I'm simply going to ask that you spend some time with the Lord, asking Him to reveal yours to you in the near future. While there are some tests out there that can be used to point you in the general direction of your gift(s), I think it's better to let God show you. I can tell you for a fact that while I do function in the areas a certain "spiritual gifts" test determined were mine, some of the lower scoring gifts on that test are the more predominate ones at work in my life today. Had I kept the mentality of "it's-not-my-gift" (according to some man-made test), I would not be who I am today. Obedience to God and stepping out in faith always has to come first, whether you think something is your gift or not!!! Like I said, let God show you. You can't go wrong with Him!

Here are the passages that speak of spiritual gifts:

"We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully." Romans 12:6-8

"To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues." 1 Cor 12:8-10

"And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? Now eagerly desire the greater gifts." 1 Cor 12:28-30

"So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." Eph 4:11-13

Aren't you thankful that the Lord chose to give you gifts so that you can serve specifically within the Body (church)?! I know I am!

Don't forget to spend time with the Lord, asking Him to reveal your gift(s) to you.

P.s. There are differing opinions on the gifts and their functions, so I encourage you to seek more information on the subject. I can only include so much here. It would benefit you to speak with your pastor about understanding the gifts more.


If you need to catch up on this series, click on the links below -