3/19/12

When God Whispers, Do You Hear Him?


Just the other day...I sat pondering the presence of the Lord and I wondered how many of us notice when He comes to us.

As I've been reading through the Bible this year, I feel like I've been given "new eyes" to see things I haven't seen before. One thing that has continually gotten my attention is that God...the Almighty, Maker of the Universe, the Great "I AM"...chose to have intimate, personal contact with people such as Adam, Eve, Hagar, Abraham, Jacob, and Moses.


I see their humanity. Then, I see God come to them. And I am awestruck.

I am silenced as I reverently arrive at the conclusion that...

God is no different today. 

He comes to us, each one, personally and intimately, desiring relationship.

The question is, do we even notice?

In our time, it would be quite dramatic for Him to speak to us out of a burning bush or a pillar of cloud. No, He prefers, it seems, to come quietly and gently, as if to see who is truly listening and paying attention.

He who holds the power of life and death in His hands, He who holds the world in place, He who set the stars in the heavens, He who diligently formed each of us in our mother's wombs...comes softly.

And a gadget-toting, social-media-obsessed, over-committed, stressed-out generation can't seem to find the time to stop long enough to listen and respond as God whispers over and over...

"Can I meet with you?" 

Then, in choosing not to pause and not to take the time, we miss out on the one thing...the one Person...the one meeting...the ONLY meeting...that can truly bring meaning and purpose to our existence while we're on this earth.

The Holy Spirit nudges us to do the right thing, to listen, to sit, to wait upon the Lord and most of us turn the music up louder, cling to our devices tighter, answer the next all-important text message, and willfully neglect the One Who Matters Most.

And I can't help but wonder how long He will keep whispering.

And I can't help but pray that my generation will learn to stop while the GREAT I AM is still seeking relationship with us.


Read 1 Kings 19: 11 - 13...  

The LORD said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.”

Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.

Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

When God whispers, do you hear Him? If you hear Him, do you stop?
_____________________


Linking up at:
The Better Mom
The Straightened Path
SomeGirl's Website

I'd love to connect with you further! Please "like" the Facebook page or "follow" on Twitter! Thanks!

For His glory,