3/14/12

Purpose. Undeniable Purpose.


Just the other day...as I was reading through the Bible, I noticed some words that seemed to jump off the page at me. Don't you love it when that happens? It's like God saying, "Look a little closer. Tune your ear. I'm speaking." What I read was this:


The Lord also spoke to Moses: "Look, I have appointed by name Bezalel son of Uri, son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. I have filled him with God's Spirit, with wisdom, understanding, and ability in every craft to design artistic works in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut gemstones for mounting, and to carve wood for work in every craft. I have also selected Oholiab son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan, to be with him. I have placed wisdom within every skilled craftsman in order to make all that I have commanded you: the tent of meeting, the ark of the testimony, the mercy seat that is on top of it, and all the other furnishings of the tent..." Ex 31:1-6

Such an obscure little passage in the book of Exodus, but powerful, nonetheless! Why? Well, read on.

The words I specifically noticed were:
  • "I have appointed by name..."
  • "I have filled him with God's Spirit, with wisdom, understanding, and ability..."
  • "I have also selected..."
  • "I have placed wisdom within every skilled craftsman in order to make all that I have commanded you..."
WOW!!! I don't know about you, but satan likes to come at me with doubts about my calling, passions, and skill set all the time. Like, every day, if I'm going to be honest. And I'm pretty sick of it. Because do you know what I see glaring at me in this passage?

PURPOSE. Undeniable purpose.

Just like Bezalel and Oholiab, God has skilled me, positioned me, crafted me, filled me, selected me, and appointed me for a specific work here on this earth. And guess what? He has done the same for you, whether you currently believe it or not!

You have a purpose. A specific one.

He created you to do certain things, among certain people, in certain ways, for certain reasons. And I can't do what you're meant to do and you can't do what I'm meant to do. It's as simple as that!

And did you notice in the passage that Bezalel was from the tribe of Judah and Oholiab was from the tribe of Dan? I didn't think so, but listen to this...surely they came from different mindsets and backgrounds, yet God brought them together with their like skills and passions to be used for His glory! Doesn't that make you look around and realize, God has even placed you in the company of certain people by His divine plan? You might not LOVE where you are at the moment, but could it be that God has selected that place for you to grow and "become"? I bet Bezalel and Oholiab even became good friends by the end of their project together! Maybe God has you right where you are because He knows the connections and friendships you will make are for a greater purpose than you can even imagine. Could it be? Absolutely!

God was very, very detailed in His instructions to Moses about building the Ark of the Covenant. If you're ever in doubt that God is meticulous and has a plan even down to the tiniest detail, start reading in Exodus 25 and keep going for a few chapters. Your doubts will be put to rest. 

Can I just encourage you that God has not forgotten you?! He knows right where you are, why you're there, and all the good stuff that your circumstances are working into you, even if it's the most trying time in your whole entire life! 

He has plans. 

You have purpose.

While you might not be dancing around with all-consuming passion and feeling like you're living your life's purpose at this very moment, will you just be patient with God? He's at work. 

After all, Bezalel and Oholiab didn't develop all those amazing skills overnight! God had to get them ready. And they were ready at just the right moment.

And you'll be ready, too.