8/19/11

Taste and See


Just the other day...I dropped out of college. I had gone to college for literally two weeks. I attended a church service that second weekend and after it, I just knew I was following my own path instead of the path the Lord was calling me to walk. So, to make a very long story short, I began to seek the Lord about what the next steps in my life needed to be. It was then that I finally understood what intimate fellowship with Christ looked like.

In seeking the Lord, I would go into my room, close the door, turn on my closet light, and sit on the floor. I would open my Bible in front of me and just read. Sometimes I would read for hours. Sometimes I would read it and just cry. Sometimes I would journal my prayers to the Lord. Sometimes I would pray out loud, other times I would pray in my head. Sometimes I would just sit in silence and wait on the Lord. As I read and cried out and waited and listened, I was changed. Every time...not rarely, not occasionally, not "just on my good days", but every time...God met me there! It was during that time, I believe, that my true relationship with the Lord began. My heart was captivated by the Him and a romance was ignited.  Christianity became more than just fire-insurance (a "get-out-of-jail-free" card, if you will) and more than just head-knowledge. I devoted myself earnestly to the Lord; and He won my heart and my full affection. Before that, I was a "good girl". I tried to follow the rules, but it was in my own strength and I failed miserably (read here). There had been no depth to my relationship with the Lord because I had not truly sought Him.

There are so many Christians today who are making the same mistake I was. So many believe that "being saved" means just that..."I am saved from having to face an eternity in Hell". But, what about the abundant life God talks about in John 10:10? He longs for His children to know Him and to experience Him, not just know about Him. It's pretty much like someone telling you about how good, let's say, chocolate is. They can talk about it until they are blue in the face and you may leave with knowledge that it's good, sure...but there's no way you can really understand unless you taste it for yourself! It's the same with the Lord Jesus. Someone else can explain to you how wonderful Jesus is your whole life long...and you might even go away saying "God is good!" and truly believe it...but you'll never understand it unless you decide to earnestly seek a relationship with Him yourself. The Bible says it best:

 " Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him!" 
Psalm 34:8 

How I pray that you would earnestly seek Him today! Find out for yourself just how amazing He really is!!!