8/29/11

Stress, off. Relax, on.


Just the other day...I figured out that relaxation takes a little while to soak in. The first few days of our vacation (hence no posts lately), I found it extremely difficult to switch gears. I'm so accustomed to "go, go, go" and "do, do, do" that getting into relax-mode was not like flipping on a switch. Boy, wouldn't that be nice?! Stress, off. Relax, on. Oh, that it could be that easy! But thankfully, somewhere around day three, I found myself so peaceful and at ease, I started thinking, "Wow, I'm not motivated to do anything!" (And believe me when I say, that's a strange feeling for me!) The agenda became something like eat, sleep, play with the kids, spend time together, and ultimately, just bask in the goodness of God. Ahhhhh! My husband more than once made the comment, "I could really get used to this!" Yep, me too!

I think vacation made us both stop and take inventory. Personally, I started thinking about the things that really matter and taking into account what it is that makes me stay in "go" mode all the time. Immediately, I knew what it was, and yet, I had SUCH a hard time coming to a resolution about it. Ok...are you ready....

It's the computer.

There. I said it. (And isn't admitting the problem supposed to be the first step on the road to recovery? I hope so.)

For me, the computer represents work (my part time job), keeping in touch with lots of extended family (hi family!) and friends (hi friends!), and now this blog, which I consider a ministry that God laid on my heart. So I started thinking about what it is that I can do to help myself take back some territory and some peace. I have already made a conscious decision not to join Twitter or Pinterest, because to be honest, I seriously cannot waste any more of my time. But Facebook??!?! Facebook gets me. I'm a very social person so I just love everything about it, but the problem is, I don't know when to stop. I log in and before I know it, I've wasted an hour reading status updates and commenting and suddenly all the stuff I needed to be doing HAS to get done so I rush, rush, rush. It's terrible! Terrible, I tell you!!

So what is my resolution? I found a nifty little timer on my cell phone and I plan on putting it to good use! I will allow myself 10 minutes on Facebook sometime in the morning (but never before my time with God, already do that one), 10 minutes in the afternoon, and a little more at night IF all the other basics are done (clean kitchen, school ready for the next day, work done, etc). I know. It's anal. But it is a must if I want to be faithful to all that I feel the Lord calling me to (always homemaking/mothering!...writing...on this blog and beyond...women's ministry at church, etc). Plus, above all, I just have to make sure all of my priorities are in order, or nothing I have to say will be worth reading or sharing and I know that! And if the timer thing doesn't work, well, I've decided that entire days off of Facebook are next...as in, I only get on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I'm resolved to do what it takes!

Now, want to hear something REALLY funny?

Did you remember that this blog is being redesigned at the moment? Well, my awesome designer suggested I do a Facebook page for the blog and have a link to it on here (the day I got back from vacay). Soooooo, I created a Just the Other Day fan page on FB! Isn't that funny/ironic?! Yep, I think so, too! But I'm telling you that because YES... I want my readers to "like" the page, but I also want you to help keep me accountable. Hear me! I am asking you to...seriously. Ask me about the timer! Remind me about my vacation decision! I welcome you to help me out:) I need you! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Just-the-Other-Day/264225813596794 <---- Click there and it will take you to the new page!

 Let me leave you with this:

"For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven, a time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest. A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to tear down and a time to build up." 
Ecclesiastes 3:1 - 3

May the Lord guide us as we discern the seasons in our lives. 

May we be found faithful in all that He has placed before us to do.

May we be found using our time wisely!


***Linking up at Women Living Well and Raising Homemakers***


For His glory,