4/22/11

Nothing Compares


Just the other day, I started thinking about the times in my life that have been the most precious and the most memorable. You know, times such as falling in love, getting married, the days my babies were born, special Christmases and Thanksgivings, etc. If each of us made a list, we probably all would come back to the same basic things. But you know what? As precious as those times were, I can now look back and say with all sincerity, those times will never compare to the intimate times I have spent with my Lord…those sweet times when His very presence rests upon me. I LIVE for those moments and I long for the next time that I get to be alone with Him. I guess you could say that I’m ruined for His touch. I’m like a kid in a candy store craving more, more, more of Him! 
 
I have a sweet family member who recently said exactly what I used to say as a young girl and it is this, “I hope the Lord doesn’t come back before I get married and have kids.” Come on now (if you are a Christian) haven’t you said that at some point in your life too? If you didn’t say it, I bet you at least thought it!  I totally get that feeling and understand it (it is a worthy desire), but in a way it makes me sad. Why? Simply because it showcases a classic trap. 

As an adult, I now realize that having those feelings of longing for something else are satan’s way of distracting us from what truly matters. He tries to get our minds on future goals so much that we forget about God in the here and now. He plants thoughts in our minds like, “If you could just find the love of your life, you would be fulfilled. If you could just have a child, then you would have joy. If you could just have a big house, you’d be happy.  If you could just have a wife or husband like that other person has, then your marriage would be awesome, too. If you could just land your dream job, all your problems would be over. If you could just prove yourself to others by doing (insert whatever), then you will have arrived.”

Are you seeing the pattern? As long as he can keep you grasping for something you don’t yet have thinking it will fulfill you, then he has you trapped! He has you distracted. He has you running in circles and getting nowhere. He doesn’t want you to seek THE REAL ANSWER to all of your deepest needs. Those answers can only be found in a LIVING, ACTIVE, COMMITTED RELATIONSHIP TO THE LORD JESUS CHRIST!!!! He wants to keep you thinking that SOMETHING in this life is going to fill you up and finally make you truly happy.

I hate to burst your bubble, but it’s never, ever going to happen. Take it from a person who, although I called myself a Christian, tried to fill my deepest needs through so many other things. I was drowning in the lie and chasing a fantasy...a façade. Now that I’ve lived a few years and have experienced much, I can tell you from the core of my being…THE LORD IS “IT”!!! In Him, humanities deepest desires are met, and not only that, they are surpassed to the ten thousandth degree!

God is my Center, my Father, my Lover, my Best Friend, my Everything! All good and perfect gifts flow from Him (and I am richly blessed), but He is the SOURCE of it all!!! And His presence, I’m telling you… NOTHING COMPARES to it. It is indescribable and utterly amazing and ultimately life-altering!

If you have been searching and trying to fill your desires with anything other than Him, I encourage you to repent and go after HIM ALONE. Pursue Him like your life depends on it, because it truly does. Matthew 10: 37 - 39 (NLT) says, “If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or if you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine. If you cling to your life you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it.”

I’m begging you to give up trying to put other things in God’s rightful place. I’m begging you to quit searching for fulfillment outside of Him. Give up your life, your goals, your dreams, your ambitions and go after God…and through Him TRUE LIFE, TRUE LIVING, AND TRUE RELATIONSHIP WILL BE FOUND.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, compares to Him!!!!!!!!!! I personally guarantee it;)

For His glory,